Crane barge lengthening and upgrade to offshore wind turbine installation vessel.
- Lengthening the existing jack up construction rig by a 22m x 32m bow section.
- Provision of new ballast, freshwater and electrical systems.
- Relocating the existing accommodation block to the new section and major refurbishment.
- Provision of two leg wells in the new section and modifications to the existing 6 leg-well structures.
- Installation of new jacking system and legs.
- Upgrading of existing 250t crane and installation of crane crutch.
- Upgrading of piling system supports.
- Installation of new 10t deck crane and mooring arrangement.
- Coating of existing and new structure.
In total over 550 tonnes of steel was associated with the conversion.
In order to minimise risk to this very important project a unique engineering solution was adopted. The rig ‘landed’ on the construction berth slipway and was hauled some 250m into the Construction Hall to be mated with the new section which had been pre-fabricated in position. On completion of all works indoors and with the benefit of 250 tonnes overhead craneage capacity the vessel was dynamically launched into the Mersey.